Give your body something to shout about! Our easy-to-follow 7 day detox diet plan has been expertly crafted by our Nutritionist, Lucy-Ann who has put together some fantastic advice to get you feeling healthy. For a maximum feel-good feeling try your best to follow the plan through its entirety, however even just a few days of ‘eating clean’ can boost health, rid the body of excess fluid and inspire you to make further consistent changes to your lifestyle.
If you want to give it a go, try out this simple meal plan for seven days and see how much better you feel.
On rising, drink a glass of filtered water for instant “rehydration”. Follow the plain water with a slice of fresh lemon in warm water or a dandelion or nettle tea to help stimulate the bowels and move waste from the body!
Pick 3 or 4 fruits such as apples, pears, papaya (or paw paw), peaches, any fresh berries, or fresh pineapple, mango or melon. To prepare your breakfast, wash, chop or slice (however you prefer) and add a spoon or two of shelled hempseeds. Squeeze your choice of fresh lemon or lime juice and add a little chopped or grated raw ginger and fresh mint for a last drop of ‘cleansing power’.
If you feel like this isn’t quite enough to start the day, try this delicious breakfast…
Coconut and Vanilla Muesli
For the muesli...
- 2 cups almond milk or any homemade nut milk
- 1 cup raw almonds, or pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup of organic unsweetened dried coconut or shredded fresh coconut flesh
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod, slit down the middle and the seeds scraped out (or 1-2 drops of vanilla extract if need be)
For the topping…
- ¼ cup of goji berries, raisins or dried mulberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- Freshly chopped mint
It may seem like a lot of ingredients but putting them together is really simple. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or food processor and roughly blitz to a consistency you like. Spoon equal amounts into serving bowls, and make the topping before scattering on top of the muesli. For the final touch, feel free to add a topping of blueberries!
Lunch and Dinner meals:
Select 6-7 of the following ingredients for each meal and combine together in colorful creations!
- Dark leafy greens such as: watercress, green and red lettuce leaves, freshly chopped herbs, organic carrot, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, celery, onion, beets (try get organic freshly cooked or organic vacuum packed), alfalfa sprouts, puy lentils or green lentils, or any types of beans.
- Chop, cut or grate and combine these as you wish on a plate, or into a bowl. For vegetables such as broccoli, kale and cauliflower I advise you lightly steam (although you can eat raw).
- With either meal, the addition of plain organic tofu, 150g or just over ½ cup of wholegrain rice, wild rice, quinoa, millet, barley, or other wheat-free grain.
- Flavor or season your meals with fresh garlic, herbs, ginger and spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric and fennel.
N.B All the above foods are examples of cleansing, easy-to-digest, healing and nourishing, and “hypo-allergenic” foods (i.e those least likely to trigger any potential inflammatory or immune reaction in the gut or in the body). These are therefore perfect foods for a general cleansing and detoxifying diet.
Need a snack?
Starvation isn’t the point of a detox, so if you do get hungry during the day, feel free to snack on fruits, nuts, fresh vegetable juices and herbal teas. Eat Nākd bars are perfect for this!
Some things to avoid:
Coffee, sugar, salt, processed or pre-packaged food, alcohol, and any additional cooking fats. Do however consume 1-2 teaspoons of cold flaxseed or hempseed oil on your lunch and dinner every day.
Things to be aware of…
When carrying out an effective intestinal cleanse it’s not uncommon to experience a few physical symptoms, and even some emotional ones here and there. The sharp change to your body can cause you to feel a little heavy-headed, low and tired, but stick with it because the rewards far outweigh the negatives! Remember you’re getting rid of necessary waste – both physical and emotional, but it should only last a day or two.
Remember, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and help toxins flush out from your body. Rest is crucial, therefore going to bed a little earlier is advised; you may initially struggle to fall asleep early, but rest assured you’ll soon adjust! Upon waking up, start your day with some warm water and fresh lemon.
After a few days you, will begin to feel more energetic, sparkly-eyed and clear-headed again.
Here’s to a cleaner you – both inside and out!