The most important part of living on a vegan diet is consuming the right foods to maintain energy levels and wellbeing. This is widely considered to be difficult to achieve in the absence of animal-base products, however our nutritionist Lucy-Ann opposes this. Lucy-Ann has put together this quick and helpful list of ideas to keep you vegans out there healthy, happy and full!
Top foods to eat regularly in the diet
The following should make up a part of your daily necessities, whether you’re a professional sportsman or an office worker!
- Grains – Brown rice, oats, millet, wild rice, barley, and quinoa
- Fresh fruits – especially satsumas, apples, bananas, papaya, pineapple, mango, melon, pears, berries and kiwis
- Vegetables and leafy greens – try and work in the following vegetables in your diet; spinach, raw leaves, squash/pumpkin and sweetcorn/corn
- Plant proteins – puy lentils, Tofu, edamame beans, split peas (lentils), chickpeas, sprouts such as alfalfa, sprouted lentils and chickpeas, peas and beans
- Fermented soya foods – Tamari, Tempeh, tofu
High-energy vegan foods
The following foods are for those seeking heightened energy levels – ideal for regular exercisers or participation in specific sporting events!
- Nut butters (e.g. peanut butter, almond butter and hazelnut butter)
- Tahini (Sesame seed paste)
- Macadamia nuts
- Brazil nuts
- All other seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds
- Oats and oatmeal
- Hempseeds and hemp oil
- Quinoa, millet, barley, wild rice, brown rice
- Beans and lentils, sprouts, alfalfa
Vegan snacks or “top-up” meals
If you’re trying to secure your body in its prime condition for training purposes you’ll need high energy, protein rich foods to ensure max repair, growth and maintenance. Here are several snack ideas for you to grab and eat throughout the day.
- A tablespoon of nut butter with 1-2 bananas
- 200g cooked barley with 200g cooked lentils
- 5 oatcakes spread with 2 tablespoons of hummus
- Nut milk and hemp or pea protein powder shake with banana
- 5-10g corn cakes with an avocado