Plants have the great ability to give any room in the house or office a pop of colour and life, offering a lovely aesthetic. Dig a little deeper beneath their beauty and you will also discover the huge benefits they possess in creating a better surrounding psychologically, physically and mentally. Although we may know instinctively that being close to greenery makes us feel more at ease, here are some of the reasons why…
Plants purify the air
Plants possess a natural ability to absorb many types of air pollutants and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) that float around us through their leaves and roots. This, in turn, helps to improve certain conditions around you such as:
- Reducing Carbon Dioxide
- Keeping air temperature down
- Reducing airborne dust levels
To purify your indoor air as best as possible, it is worth investing in plants such as English Ivy, Japanese Royal Plants, Spider Plants, Aloe Vera and Peace Lilies.
Plants have psychological value
Daily stress and anxiety can be alleviated simply by interacting with and caring for an indoor plant. In nurturing and growing a plant, it not only builds a sense of responsibility but also exposes you to natural antidepressants which are present in the soil. Some studies have found that growing plants is a great way to improve overall mental well-being at any age.
Plants increase productivity
Several studies have linked the presence of plants to the improved function of productivity, concentration and memory in individuals. According to a study by the University of Michigan, plants can increase memory retention by 20%. “Keeping ornamental plants in the home and in the workplace increases memory retention and concentration,” says Texas A&M. “Work performed under the natural influence of ornamental plants is normally of higher quality and completed with a much higher accuracy rate than work done in environments devoid of nature.” Just the mere presence of plants can therefore not only help memory retention but also have a great impact on your focus which could help you to produce better work.
Best plants for your desk
Selecting the perfect desk plant can seem like a confusing affair, especially when you don’t consider yourself a plant guru. To make it easier, we have listed the best selection of plants below:
- Devil’s Ivy – Scindapsus, also known as Devil’s Ivy, is at home anywhere and can adapt to a number of different home and office environments (e.g. low-lights to bright lights)
- Bromeliads – colourful and flowering, these plants are very low maintenance and only needs watering once every month
- Cacti – these spiky little plants are incredibly easy to look after and have many different variations for each individual taste
- Dracaena – visually striking, the Dracaena is bursting with colourful leaves that can survive in some of the harshest conditions making it incredibly reliable
Speaking of the gifts that nature can offer to us, Nakd Bars are packed full of 100% natural ingredients - it's simply fruits and nuts smooshed together.