Associated with health, wellbeing and vitality, Aloe Vera has a whole bunch of uses for anyone who wants to look and feel great. From facial treatments and skin products through to antioxidant drinks, Aloe Vera has been used for thousands of years and for good reason too!
Where does it come from?
A member of the plant family known as Liliaceae (including garlic and onions!), Aloe Vera comes from warm places such as Latin America and the Caribbean. It gets pretty big and can grow up to four feet tall, with its leaves reaching an excess of 35 inches long!
Bursting with all kinds of good stuff, the clear gel within the leaves is used on the skin, whilst the yellow sap from the leaf-base is what makes up internal treatments. This sap contains a whole host of powerful vitamins, minerals, enzymes, glycoproteins and good fatty acids.
So why is it so good?
Brace yourself, here comes the science!
- As an adaptogen it helps to boost the body’s natural ability to learn about and adapt to illnesses.
- It helps to reduce symptoms of allergies.
- Reduces the chances of acid indigestion.
- The glycoproteins inside help to heal inflammation and pain.
- Polysaccharides help to support skin repair and growth whilst increasing the production of white blood cells.
- Contains plant sterols which increases HCL cholesterol, which in turns reduces the number of bad fats in the blood.
- Improves blood pressure and circulation.
- Has antibiotic, antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
So there you go – Aloe Vera is actually pretty darned amazing! One thing we would say is make sure to follow the instructions of any Aloe Vera product as it is quite potent and we wouldn’t want to overdo things!