Sometimes it's not easy for vegans to find sweet treats that don't use any animal products, but thanks to our expert nutritionist, Lucy-Anne Prideaux, you can whip up some truly tasty vegan chocolate brownies by following this simple recipe.
- 2 1/4 cups of wheat-free flour
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 level tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup organic chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup organic coconut butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ripe banana, well mashed
- Get your oven nice and hot by preheating to 340 F.
- Get all of the dry ingredients (including the chocolate pieces) and mix them up in a bowl. Feel free to do a little dance as you do so!
- In a separate bowl, mix up all of the wet ingredients and really work in the mashed banana.
- Combine the two bowls (dry and wet mixes) together.
- Pour the resulting mix (which should have a fudge-like consistency) into a baking tin that has been greased with coconut butter and dust in some flour to prevent sticking.
- Put the whole shebang into the oven and bake at 340 F for 15-20 minutes until the top looks cooked.
- Test the brownies with a knife - stick it in the middle, and it should come out clean. If there is still some mix stuck, leave in for a litte bit longer. If you want them to have a slightly more gooey texture, just cook for slightly less time.
- Take them out of the oven, leave to cool and get munching!